Friday, February 16, 2018

What's A Geek Mom To Do??

Both times I was pregnant, I dreamt of a nursery decorated like Hogwarts or a crib that looked like the Tardis. But since I married a non-geek, that never happened. But as my kids are getting older, I have hope!

I am a proud geek and a proud nerd. My 7 year old daughter thinks its funny, but I keep trying to convince her that its cool! When I got new glasses a few months ago, my daughter said "Mom, those glasses are so you. They're nerd glasses"!! She rolls her eyes every time she hears Harry Potter or Dr. Who, and my heart breaks a little. But she loves Minecraft, Pokémon and anything to do with dragons-so she has potential to be a lil geek like her momma!

Once we start reading the Potter books I honestly think she'll love them. Wizards, magic, potions and dragons-all things she loves. But also because so many of my geeky fandoms are full of great characters, friendships and triumphs. They stretch the imagination and encourage creativity. The adventures of Percy Jackson are a great way to learn about the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses. Marvel is full of bravery and strong personalities. Merlin can teach her about Arthurian times and the great stories we all grew up hearing. I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.

These are ideas that I plan to use in our unschooling. It'll be a fun way of learning. It will encourage her to keep dreaming and keep nurturing the amazing imagination she has. My son is only 3, so it's yet to be seen if he will follow in his momma 's geeky footsteps!

Please follow my blog, on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. Please leave me comments about any of your geeky or nerdy fandoms!!  I hope you all have a great day and make some wonderful memories each and every day!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one. She will grow up just like you esoecespec since she loves to read also.

    ReplyDelete

DIY Lava Lamp

Cabin fever?  Yes, this is a constant problem in our house right now.  I do my best to keep them busy and occupied, but sometimes we just ne...